Friday, May 13, 2011
Interviews with Judith Butler, Seyla Benhabib, Michael Sandel, Axel Honneth et.al.
Politics of Culture and the Spirit of Critique: Dialogues
Ed. by Gabriel Rockhill and Alfredo Gomez-Muller
(Columbia University Press, 2011)
This book of tightly woven dialogues engages prominent thinkers in a discussion about the role of culture-broadly construed-in contemporary society and politics. Faced with the conceptual inflation of the notion of 'culture,' which now imposes itself as an indispensable issue in contemporary moral and political debates, these dynamic exchanges seek to rethink culture and critique beyond the schematic models that have often predominated, such as the opposition between "mainstream multiculturalism" and the "clash of civilizations."
Introduction: Politics of Culture and the Spirit of Critique
Gabriel Rockhill & Alfredo Gomez-Muller
1. Critical Theory Today: Politics, Ethics, Culture
Opening Dialogue, Alfredo Gomez-Muller & Gabriel Rockhill
2. Concrete Universality and Critical Social Theory
Dialogue with Seyla Benhabib
3. Global Justice and the Renewal of the Critical Theory Tradition
Dialogue with Nancy Fraser
4. Accounting for a Philosophic Itinerary: Genealogies of Power and Ethics of Nonviolence
Dialogue with Judith Butler
5. The Present in the Light of the Longue Durée
Dialogue with Immanuel Wallerstein
6. A Prisoner of Hope in the Night of the American Empire
Dialogue with Cornel West
7. Liberalism: Politics, Ethics, and Markets
Dialogue with Michael Sandel
8. Cultural Rights and Social-Democratic Principles
Dialogue with Will Kymlicka
9. The Critical Theory of the Frankfurt School and the Theory of Recognition
Dialogue with Axel Honneth
A French edition of the interviews came out last year, entitled "Critique et subversion dans la pensee contemporaine americaine: Dialogues" (Editions du Felin, 2010).
Gabriel Rockhill is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Villanova University.
Alfredo Gomez-Muller is Professor of Latin American studies at the Francois-Rabelais University,Tours.